Monday, March 10, 2008

Erin had a little lamb, little lamb, little lamb....





So here is the story. I'm up at the Massey household (Bryan's parents) and I'm told that I am needed out where the sheep are. So I go out there, and My Father-in-law ,Todd, needs me to help him pull a lamb. He says that the ewe isn't dilating and she needs to have those lambs. Next he proceeds to tell me since I have smaller hands than him or Bryan that I am the woman for the job. I said OK and started lubing up my arm. After trying for a little while not getting anywhere, I go get some new warm water and Makade decides to come back out with me. I get back in position ready to stick my hand back up there and Makade (bless his little heart) is like "Ew mom don't do that, take it out" he was a little freaked out by the whole thing. I think he thought I was going to get hurt. But I had a job to do, that ewe was finally dilated. The whole time Makade was saying "I'm scared, I'm scared, I want to go in with Grammie." It took me awhile to figure out what was what but I finally kind of had it figured out. The lamb was positioned with his back and butt trying to come out first and so he wasn't getting into the birth canal far enough to dilate his mama. After being frustrated cause I couldn't find what I was looking for, I finally got a hoof and pulled it out far enough that Todd could grab hold of it and pull it out. I don't know how many people have seen animals being born but it is a pretty cool experience! But can be pretty weird to see those little babies coming out and smacking the ground and then if they aren't breathing right away to see someone throwing them around. I had seen all this before, but I think It was Makade's first time. The whole time he was saying "That lamb is dead" once that lamb started breathing he was one happy boy he kept saying "The lamb is alive, he is alive." We took a little break, I took makade into the house with Grammie (he had enough of that), and then I went back in to see if there was another one. There was and this one was coming out the wrong way too. I was trying to find a leg so I could get it out for Todd. The whole time he was being so patient, I just know he wanted to yell find that leg and pull it out dang it!! but he didn't he said afterward he didn't want to offend me cause he was afraid I wouldn't help him anymore. lol, I thought that was funny. But I finally got it and started pulling as hard as I could but I am just not strong enough. luckily Bryan came in right then and pulled it the rest of the way out. this lamb was huge!! But this one did not live, I about started bawling... it was so sad. They had me check to see if there were anymore and there was another one! This time it was coming head first and only took me a second to pull out... I was so relieved!! and even more relieved when it was alive! So we ended up saving two baby lambs, I was just so proud of myself. And it made me realize that with all this new life coming into the world ...spring is coming. That thought just makes me so happy!!
*The pictures were taken the day after...and are not real. In fact not even the same ewe!! too bad they are not in the moment!!

8 comments:

Tari said...

I was just blog hoppong and found your blog thought I would say hello
Hope you'll stop by and visit.

Way to go Erin! Way to get your hand dirty.

Kandice said...

Oh my heck, that is hilarious. I can soooo see you doing that, but eww....You might as well become an OB/GYN after that..lol. Next time call me, I have really small hands too...we could be a great team.

Anonymous said...

Erin,
I just love my dear farm girl sister in-law. I don't think I even could have done that. Bryan sure married the right girl for him. Love the pictures. To bad it wasn't the real deal. I bit that was a site. Wish I would not have missed that one. I like your title for the story. For now on when I sing it with my kids, I'm going to us your name instead of Marry's name. Erin had a little lamb, little lamb, little lamb! Has a great ring to it. Don't you think!! hehe Lovea girl. Britt

Robert, Melanie and fam said...

WOW!!! You are brave! I can understand though losing a baby lamb when your so involved with their birth is really sad! I helped once with a birth of my favorite EWE, way long story but all in the end both lambs died and my brothers had to kill the mother because her whole uterus came out! It was awful! My brothers had to hold me back from going out to the barn when my other brother had to shoot her. It made me so sad!
Good job though to get in their and get your hands dirty! :)

Jesenia said...

Good job Erin, wow, I can't belive you did that. Todd has a great and brave daughter in-law. Love ya

Whit said...

So you are way braver than I would ever be! I could totally help deliver a human but I don't know about an animal. I am seriously impressed! We should get together someday for lunch. I would love to get to konw you better.

Whit

The McClellan Clan said...

Wow, I had no idea you had it in you. Good job to the massey's for getting such a perfect catch like yourself!! Thats awesome!!! Good job. Ya it does seem gross, but when you get into and know you have to do it to save a life its so worth it.

Erika and Jason said...

Amazing! I honestly don't think that I could have done that. What a neat experience though.

Please put a picture on my map!!

The Soundtrack